Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Placebo Effect

I've had my suspicions that Bug is a hypochondriac for some time but after last night, I'm convinced!! He's been complaining of a sore throat and telling me he just doesn't feel good for a couple of days now. But he doesn't miss an opportunity to get outside and play or anything like that. Basically, it's an illness of convenience. If I complain that something is bothering me, within 30 minutes, Bug has the same complaint. For example, I went on a bike ride Sunday and forgot to use sunblock. Anybody who knows me well enough knows that if I'm in the sun for even 30 minutes without sunblock, I'm well on my way to being fried. Sunday, I was on my bike for over 2 hours so you can imagine how cooked I was.

Because I was so fried, I didn't feel good at all Monday. When I got home from work, I crawled on the couch and didn't move. At some point, Bug laid on the couch and started complaining that he was sunburned and felt terrible. Now, he did play outside for a while Sunday afternoon and did get a tiny bit pink, but it really didn't amount to anything. So, that's just an example of how it works when you live with a hypochondriac.

Last night, Bug was complaining that something didn't feel good so Hubby piped up and asked if I thought Bug might need a placebo. Of course, Bug was curious and wanted to know what a placebo is. I very casually told him that a placebo helps most people feel better. I went to the medicine cabinet to look for the most generic looking thing I could find. I found a Tylenol Cold and handed it to him (he hasn't learned that the name of the medicine is typically stamped on it). I told Bug that it would take about 10 minutes to work but that he should start feeling better.

About 15 minutes later, I asked him how he was doing and he piped right up that he felt so much better. Yep, I'm convinced he's a hypochondriac.

No comments: