Thursday, February 3, 2011

CatDog

My cat has a strange name. Her name is Dog. Yes, that’s right. Dog. I never call her by her given name, though. It just feels weird to look at my cat and call her Dog when clearly, she’s not a dog. So, I typically just refer to her as “Cat” (original, I know).

Well, Dog (the cat) hasn’t been feeling well lately. I called the vet this morning to make an appointment and the conversation got confusing rather quickly.

Me: I’d like to make an appointment for my cat.

Vet: Okay, what’s your last name?

Me: “Smith” (name changed to protect the guilty innocent)

Vet: Cayce?

Me: Yes.

Vet: Okay, is this for Maggie Moo? (our dog – who is actually a dog)

Me: No, this is for Dog.

Vet: I thought you just said it's for your cat?!

Me: I did. But my cat's name is Dog.

Vet: *laughing* Oookkaayyy … So, let me make sure I have this right. Your dog’s name is Maggie and your cat’s name is Dog?

Me: Yep.

Vet: Okay, can you have her here at 4:30 this afternoon?

Me: Purr-fect (pun totally intended)

You think that’s funny? You should’ve been around the time Dog the Cat escaped the house and I was walking around yellin', “Dog? Dog? Here kitty, kitty, kitty. C’mere Dog!!!” Yeah, I’m pretty sure the neighbors thought I’d forgotten to take my meds that day.

1 comment:

Taylor Wise said...

That's funny! I've always wanted a cat named Karen. I don't know why.