Currently, I am riding shotgun on the way to Kansas City, MO. For this east coast gal who has had limited (long distance) travel experience, this is quite the adventure. It is 9:00 PM, although to our bodies it is an hour later. We have been on the road since 2:00 PM. Amazingly, we got on the road right on schedule (no doubt, thanks to my insane organization skills). I left the travel route and driving directions up the pilot (dear Hubs, of course). Little did I know, I was also leaving the control of the radio to him and within 5 minutes, somehow the dial found its way to talk radio. Now, for anyone else, this may not be worth mentioning however, the Hubs has told me countless times that when he was growing up, his dad (whose family we are in route to see) would make them listen to talk radio and oldies. I’ve heard story after story about how much he dreaded those long car rides for that very reason. I guess the proverbial apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, huh? Anyway, I digress. Where was I? Oh yes, talk radio. That was the perfect time for me to pull out the ‘ol Kindle and finish up my book. For any readers out there, I very highly recommend Nicholas Sparks’ “Safe Haven”. Heck, even if you’re not a reader, you should check it out.
Miraculously, we made it nearly 3 hours before Little One asked the question I’d been anticipating. “Mom, when are we going to be there?” Our first stop was near Gatlinburg. We filled the gas tank, went to the bathroom (whether we needed to or not) and I staged a relay race in a grassy area to help the kiddos work out some energy. Of course, what fun is a stop like that without some good old fashioned ant stomping? Yep, the boys had a BLAST stomping those little creatures. And, well, they were having too much fun to stop them. Then it was back on the road for a bit before another brief stop for a quick dinner at … McDonald’s. I’m not sure how it happens but somehow, we always end up eating there and it is my LEAST favorite place to eat. Ick, ick, ick!!!!! As an aside, it was somewhere between the unavoidable “when will we be there” question and the ever so glamorous dinner that Little One innocently asked “How long ‘til we get to Missouri?” I answered him that we wouldn’t be there until tomorrow and he threw his hands up, repeated my answer 2 times in the form of a question and informed us that he was going to just jump out and get in an airplane.
Heading westward, I was able to witness a beautiful sunset in the beautiful Tennessee sky. And as we drove through Nashville, I reflected on my childhood dream to become a successful musician and move to Nashville. One day, I’d love to make it back and visit Nashville and take in all the sights and sounds. I’d absolutely LOVE to go to the Grand ‘Ole Opry. After a brief gas/restroom stop just outside of Nashville, we are continuing our journey.
We just crossed into Kentucky. The kiddos are asleep. The Hubs is again listening to talk radio. And I am enjoying MiFi internet service. I just made our hotel reservations for somewhere in Illinois and we have an hour and change before we get there. I will leave you with this … I am thankful for portable DVD players, satellite radio, MiFi internet and my Kindle.
Until next time…
Miraculously, we made it nearly 3 hours before Little One asked the question I’d been anticipating. “Mom, when are we going to be there?” Our first stop was near Gatlinburg. We filled the gas tank, went to the bathroom (whether we needed to or not) and I staged a relay race in a grassy area to help the kiddos work out some energy. Of course, what fun is a stop like that without some good old fashioned ant stomping? Yep, the boys had a BLAST stomping those little creatures. And, well, they were having too much fun to stop them. Then it was back on the road for a bit before another brief stop for a quick dinner at … McDonald’s. I’m not sure how it happens but somehow, we always end up eating there and it is my LEAST favorite place to eat. Ick, ick, ick!!!!! As an aside, it was somewhere between the unavoidable “when will we be there” question and the ever so glamorous dinner that Little One innocently asked “How long ‘til we get to Missouri?” I answered him that we wouldn’t be there until tomorrow and he threw his hands up, repeated my answer 2 times in the form of a question and informed us that he was going to just jump out and get in an airplane.
Heading westward, I was able to witness a beautiful sunset in the beautiful Tennessee sky. And as we drove through Nashville, I reflected on my childhood dream to become a successful musician and move to Nashville. One day, I’d love to make it back and visit Nashville and take in all the sights and sounds. I’d absolutely LOVE to go to the Grand ‘Ole Opry. After a brief gas/restroom stop just outside of Nashville, we are continuing our journey.
We just crossed into Kentucky. The kiddos are asleep. The Hubs is again listening to talk radio. And I am enjoying MiFi internet service. I just made our hotel reservations for somewhere in Illinois and we have an hour and change before we get there. I will leave you with this … I am thankful for portable DVD players, satellite radio, MiFi internet and my Kindle.
Until next time…
1 comment:
Enjoy your vacation - but mostly, enjoy "the ride" (which, btw, is the name of one of my "in process" speeches! Take lots of pictures along the way, but jot down what's IN the pictures (cause you WON'T remember them all). I love y'all. Be careful ... and enjoy the ride!!
Post a Comment