Monday, September 28, 2009

Laughter Between Tears

My grandmother passed away this weekend after a short battle with metastatic melanoma. She was 78 years old and had never been sick a day in her life. Sure, she had the occasional cold and whatnot, but as for being sick, she just wasn't.

Watching her take her last breath was heartbreaking and beautiful all wrapped up into one emotion. I know, by her testimony, that she was saved so I have no doubt that she's basking in the glory of Christ. It's just one more reason to get to Heaven one day.

But today, I called the Melanoma Research Foundation to set up a tribute for her so that people can make a donation in lieu of flowers. The lady that I talked to was super nice and she was taking the pertinent information so that the fund could be set up. She asked me what my grandmother's name was so I told her. Then she asked me her address. "Heaven", I said. "Um, pardon me?", came the reply. I repeated my answer - "Heaven. That's my grandmother's address now."

She was truly baffled. After realizing what I was talking about, she laughed uncomfortably. I sincerely laughed and assured her that it was quite alright. I really knew what she was asking but couldn't pass up the opportunity to have a good laugh between tears.

No comments: