Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Responsibility Stinks!!!

Sometimes I dislike the fact that I have to be responsible. I dislike it even more when the fact that I have to make responsible decisions causes my children to be disappointed. Let me explain. I have a dear friend who is in town for her sister's wedding. I get to see her about once a year. We have known each other since middle school and have been friends since we were freshmen in high school. We would spend afternoons and weekends together just doing what teenage girls do. Okay, so maybe we didn't exactly do what most of our friends were doing but we enjoyed hanging out. We even skipped our junior prom and went to the park for a cookout and the movies with our boyfriends at the time. Anyway, I digress ... so, we see each other about once a year. MamaJ moved to Texas several years ago, so it's not like we can just meet at the local Starbucks. Soooo, getting around to my story about being responsible and how it stinks; MamaJ and I planned to get together last night. I sent her a text message Sunday afternoon to confirm and to also (begrudgingly) let her know that Little One had a nasty cold. As a parent, I felt that it was only fair that she have the choice as to whether or not her kiddos were exposed to my son's cold.

As expected, she opted to keep her kids healthy (I would've done the same thing) but when I picked up the boys, they were ready to go see MamaJ and her kiddos. When I explained that we didn't want to take the chance of MamaJ's chicklets getting sick, they were so disappointed. And I was quite bummed because I was sooo looking forward to seeing my dear friend. But, alas, responsibility must win out, doggonit!

1 comment:

MamaJ said...

Aw, I missed getting to see you too!! Sorry, I just knew my kids were already going to be miserable on the trip home, we couldn't chance adding a cold to it! Hope Evie's ear infection clears up soon!!