Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Overwhelmed Yet Blessed

My birthday is usually a non-event. Let me just add that I’m okay with that. I don’t need or want the pomp and circumstance. I get a card from the Husband and kiddos, from the moms, from aunts and uncles. And the entire family usually goes out to dinner over the weekend. Simple. Low key. Comfortable.

I guess this year is just different and I’m learning that I have to be okay with it. Now, it’s nothing huge (by materialistic standards) but it’s HUMONGOUS to me. It started last night with a little surprise. When I got home from dropping the Bugger off at basketball practice, the van belonging to a friend of mine was in front of my house. It’s not entirely unusual for her to pop up unannounced so I didn’t give it too much thought. I walked in and she was standing at the top of the stairs holding a package and saying something about dinner and reservations. Honestly, at that very moment, my only thought was going to the bathroom. But my friend was there to take me to dinner. She’d called the Husband on Monday evening to set it up. I had no idea where we were going until we pulled up at my favorite Japanese restaurant. It was a fun evening of hanging out, catching up and just talking.

However, when I went to bed, my mind went into overdrive. This isn’t uncommon but my entire mood changed. At that moment, I would’ve given just about anything to hear Granny’s voice singing “Happy Birthday” to me. She had the most beautiful voice and never missed a birthday.

This morning, I woke up to birthday cards from Hubby and the boys and a full tank of gas (thankyouverymuch). I came to work to find a small package on my desk with a note from a coworker that simply stated, “Happy Birthday”. Curious, I opened it and it was the DVD set of the original Karate Kid movies (you know, “Wax on, wax off”) – all 3 of them. I sent him a quick note thanking him for helping me reclaim my youth since it is obviously moving away from me quickly and I commented on how much I loved these movies as a kid. He sent a note back telling me that he remembered me mentioning at one time how much I enjoyed those movies. He was out one day and saw the set and picked them up and held them until the right time. I love thoughtfulness!

During lunch, I got a voicemail and when I checked it, I couldn’t believe my ears. My eyes welled up with tears and my heart started racing. It was Granny and she was singing Happy Birthday. Now, before all of you think I’ve completely lost what’s left of my mind, it was a voicemail that my mom had saved from one of her previous birthdays. When she sang it, she didn’t specify a name and it was the most beautiful thing I think I’ve ever heard. I think it’s probably the best birthday present I’ve ever received.

My aunt and her girlfriend sent me flowers and a teddy bear. I’ve received more texts, phone calls, emails and Facebook messages than I could've ever imagine. I am overwhelmed by all of it. By the time taken to write a simple message or make a quick phone call. I’m beyond blessed!

No comments: