Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Eve Nonetheless...

Christmas will be here in (yikes) 2 days. Are you ready? We are, for the most part. The presents are bought although they're not wrapped. That will happen tonight after the kiddies go to bed. I love waiting until the last minute to put the presents under the tree.

But Christmas is different this year. Obviously the reason we celebrate Christmas hasn't changed. But our circumstances have most definitely changed. Every year, for as long as I've been alive, we've done Christmas Eve at Granny's house. There was never even a question ... it just always was. Granny bought the ham and usually made green beans. Everyone else would bring another side dish and after dinner, we'd exchange gifts for the kids then go to a Christmas Eve service. This year, however, we're not doing our family dinner at Granny's. For the first time ever, Christmas Eve dinner will be at our house. I'm assuming the role of the getting the ham (which was done yesterday, along with a gazillion other people) and fixing the green beans. Everyone is bringing their respective side dishes and we'll all chow down. Painstakingly missing will be Granny but I know that her memory will flood everyone's emotions.

An added and welcome addition to the family gathering this year will be Hubby's family. Remember, we lost my father-in-law this year as well.

Christmas Eve will be much different this year but it will be Christmas Eve nonetheless!

1 comment:

MamaJ said...

Very sweet post. I love those pictures of them. Thinking of you guys!