Thursday, December 24, 2009

Oh What a Night (Late December Back in '63)

Dear Lord I'm glad this night is just about over (as soon as the pumpkin pies are finished baking).

We got home about 6:00 this evening and like usual, Bug got out of the van and preoccupied the Pooch until I was parked in the garage. The norm is that I park in the garage, unload our stuff and then unlock the front door - thus allowing Bug entrance into the house. This is usually not anything noteworthy, however tonight, Bug made his entrance announcing that Maggie (our lovable 11 month old puppy) had apparently chewed through something. There were pieces of cardboard all over the front porch and strewn throughout the yard. He and I set out in the yard to clean it up and at one point, I sent Bug inside to retrieve a trash bag.

After picking up quite a bit of trash (that appeared to be nothing more than pieces of a shipping box with a few pieces of packing plastic thrown in for good measure) I sent Bug in to check on Little One. Afer a few minutes, Bug came outside and very worridly (is that a word??) stated that it appeared Little One had gotten into the Lysol. Mom-mode took over -- I rushed inside thinking that my forever innocent forever guilty 3 y.o. had ingested the can of Lysol. As I entered the house, I was overcome with the fumes of cleanliness and Little One boldly proclaimed his innocence.

In the meantime, I decided on a frozen pizza for dinner and preheated the oven. While the oven was heating up, Bug asked what the "Hamilton Beach" thing in the living room was. Puzzled, I asked him what he was talking about. As the words formed on my lips, I walked into the living room and saw an unwrapped gift that Hubby had so lovingly placed under the tree last night.

I called Little One into the kitchen and began to talk to him about not unwrapping presents before mommy and daddy say it's okay. At some point in the conversation, the doorbell rang. My neighbor, in the midst of my pooch destroying the aforementioned package, rescued it and waited until he saw lights on before he brought it home. After retrieving the package and giving countless hugs, I continued my conversation with an increasingly whiny 3 year old. He started holding his stomach and in a matter of about 5 seconds, proceeded to regurgitate anything he'd eaten in the previous 4 hours. Of course, my first thought was "Oh gosh, what if he ingested the Lysol that he'd so generously doused my kitchen with?!?" I called my ER nurse aunt who assured me that all was probably fine but encouraged me to call Poison Control, just to be sure. The poor soul nice lady who answered the phone assured me that Little One would be fine and that Lysol was alcohol based. She encouraged me to push sweetened clear liquids (a.k.a Sprite, or in my case, Cherry 7-Up) and carbs/proteins. Of course, Little One wanted nothing to do with any of the above and instead decided he was tired and wanted to lay down. I outfitted his bed with a towel over his pillow and a trash can beside his bed and let him sleep (I may regret this decision at 5:00 in the morning).

Remember, there's a frozen pizza cooking. That finished up and I took that out of the oven and served Bug a couple of pieces. For some reason (perhaps the fact that I'd been vomited on) I didn't have much of an appetite. Instead, I looked at the bottle of wine that was sitting there and poured myself a glass.

It's now officially Christmas Eve and Little One is still asleep with no signs of being sick. I'm sitting here updating my blog and listening to the Contemporary Christian station on the TV. Life is good!!

Merry Christmas Eve Eve!!

No comments: