Today was tough. We had a private family viewing for my FIL this afternoon. I'm not sure how many people that read my blog knew this, but my FIL is an identical twin. So, when his brother came in, it was a very hard pill to swallow. To this day, they still look exactly alike and sound just like each other. (well, I guess I can't really say "to this day..." anymore, can I? It'll take me a while to get used to the fact that my FIL's life is now past tense - that makes me cry even as I type).
The other day, I told Bug about the viewing and gave him the choice as to whether or not he wanted to come. Initially, he declined but after some thought, he decided that maybe he did want to be there. I picked him up from school early and we made our way to the funeral home to meet the rest of the family. When we walked in, Bug wasn't too sure he wanted to proceed but after taking a breath and talking for a few minutes, he walked right up to his Papa and just stared at him. Of course, we were all an emotional mess but that's to be expected.
As we were getting ready to leave, Bug told me that he'd made a card for Papa and wanted him to be cremated with it. We walked out to the van and he got the card from his book bag and let me read it. Before I tell you what it said, there are no words to describe the bond that Bug and Papa have. From the first time they met, they were two peas in a pod. Bug has such a love for anything "nature". He loves all sorts of creepy, crawly critters and he adores birds. For Christmas, Papa gave Bug a bird book and every time he sees a new bird, he goes to his book to find out what it is. His Papa has tons of bird books and this was definitely a shared love. They've been on countless scavenger hunts for all types of critters. It was amazing to watch their bond. So, when I read this card that my son made for his Papa, it took my breath away. It simply said, "Thank you for helping me identify bugs, plants and birds". There were some pictures that he drew and before we left the funeral home, he bravely marched up to his Papa and laid it beside him. He told his Papa "bye" one last time and blew him a kiss. I'm so incredibly proud of my son.

3 comments:
Aw, so sweet. I forgot about him being an identical twin, I cannot even imagine how hard that would have been! I am praying for you. Love you guys.
I am literally choking back tears! What an incredibly brave boy he was. He'll always remember this day and it's so healthy for him to have this closure. Bless y'alls hearts!
Love you all. isn't amazing how well kids are able to accept that they will see them some other day. to love them while they are here and to meet them again latter.
God Bless your little bug for being so AMAZING!
continuing to pray for you all
Jenn
Post a Comment