Monday, November 30, 2009

Without...

It was my first Thanksgiving without Granny. After leaving the run Thursday morning, I instinctively picked up my phone to call her, as I'd done in years past. How many times will I do this?? My head knows that she's not going to answer. But my heart?!? It's taking a little longer to catch on. I know I'm not alone. I know my whole family was missing her but somehow, in that moment, I felt very isolated.

Saturday, I headed over to her house to help my mom and brother bag some leaves (44 bags to be exact) and it was the first time I'd been to her house since her funeral 2 months prior. When I walked into her house, I was overcome with emotion. I felt like I was suffocating beneath the smell of everything Granny. I walked from room to room as the memories flooded in. Every room has its own special memory but her downstairs bedroom was the hardest to see. This is where she was until she went into the hospital. In the days before her hospitalization, I would lay with her in bed and soak in her voice, her stories. Dear God, let me never forget her sounds, her smells, her wisdom.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I spent much more time with my nana than you did with granny and I will never forget her teachings
the many nights I stayed with her as a teenager and the travel to her mothers(grandmas). All the things they taught me will never be forgotten. Grandma was 96 and nana 101 when they passed. Time heals ...look to the present and the people in your life now.