Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dedicated or Stupid?

You be the judge.

My half marathon is 23 days away (insert shriek here). I normally run on Tuesdays, Thursdays (5 or 6 miles each day) and either Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon (minimum of 10 miles). I cut my run short this Tuesday so I knew I needed to run at least 5 miles today in order to do my 12 mile run Saturday. The only problem was the weather.

This morning started out at a balmy 43 degrees. Around mid-morning, the rain moved in and it started getting colder. Today is Thursday -- a scheduled run day. I watched the weather all day and verified with my running partner that he still wanted to run. In fact, my text message to him said, "Are you allergic to running in the rain" to which he replied, "I like it."

As the day went on, the rain got harder and by 4:15 (when we met), it was absolutely pouring. I donned by ear muffs and set out to run. We dodged puddle after puddle and when we got out on the main road, there were those idiots who took great pleasure in purposely veering towards the nearest pool of water on the road and sending a wave our way.

A very wet and cold 5 miles later, I got in the van and headed to pick up the boys. It didn't take long for the cold to set in. I was freezing. I couldn't wait to get home and get in the warm shower. A shower has never felt so good.

So, I ask you ... am I dedicated or stupid?

1 comment:

The Sinclairs said...

Do you really want my honest opinion? You're my HERO! Dedicated or Stupid... whatever it is, more power to ya! Good luck!