I don't watch too much of it and Little One doesn't stay still long enough to get wrapped up in much of anything. Bug on the other hand would watch TV 24/7 if allowed (which he's not).
During the week, he doesn't watch TV at all. By the time we get home, go over homework, study, eat dinner and get cleaned up, it's time for showers and bed. But we've (or I) have gotten really slack lately about how much TV is watched from Friday evening through Sunday evening. It's easy for me to get wrapped up in laundry or cleaning or even the computer and lose track of how long the TV is on. And apparently I've gotten pretty good at blocking out exactly what is on TV. Example:
While on the way home from dinner tonight, Bug was telling us about an episode of iCarly that he'd recently seen in which Sam (one of Carly's friends) slapped a cop -- or something like that. I don't remember the exact scene but I do remember that somebody slapped a cop. When I was growing up, nothing like that was allowed. Of course, when I was growing up, the cartoons were "My Little Pony" and "Smurfs" ... but I digress.
I remarked to Hubby that I am so very tempted to pull the plug on TV altogether. Shows that are geared towards kids nowadays are laced with disrespect and it's made to look cool and acceptable. I don't mind if Bug watches Animal Planet or History Channel but I'm done with these shows that foster the things that I don't condone.
Bug is going to begin reading more, playing more and well, just being a kid!!!
1 comment:
Way to stand up for what is right! Kids pick up on everything and it's up to us parents to regulate what they do... while we still can!
Post a Comment