Friday, February 12, 2010

I HATE SNOW!!!!

I'm so upset.

My half marathon is supposed to be tomorrow. I've busted my tail for this for months!!! I got Hubby and I packed up this morning and we set out for Myrtle Beach, SC around lunchtime today. The weather forecast was calling for snow and I'd finally convinced myself that even though I hadn't run in the snow before, and even though I probably wouldn't meet my goal, I'd still cross the finish line and be able to say that I'd completed a half marathon.

We got down here around 4:45 this afternoon, checked into our hotel and headed for the Expo so I could peruse the merchandise (I've been anxiously awaiting a "13.1" sticker) and pick up my race packet for tomorrow and my packet for the bike ride Sunday. In addition to my "13.1" sticker, I bought a sweatshirt that advertises the Myrtle Beach Marathon. Hey, I'm proud ... what can I say?

The hotel that we're staying in offered a Carb Load Dinner to all runners and their guest, so Hubby and I met up with some friends and loaded up on pasta, salad, bread and dessert. Man, oh man ... IT WAS GOOD!!! While we were eating, the snow started. It started pouring!!! My friend and I looked at each other and we both knew that it wasn't going to be good news for the race.

We finished dinner, went to our respective rooms and changed into our bathing suits. We met back up at the hot tub and enjoyed relaxing and laughing together. Somebody got the wise idea to go to the outside jacuzzi! We ran outside and hopped into the hot tub and stayed there for a while. It felt incredible!!!

After a while, we all retired to our rooms where we anxiously awaited the news from the mayor and race officials ... Would the race continue?? After all, the forecast is calling for about 5" of snow. Wouldn't you know that it hasn't snowed at the beach in 10 years but this weekend, of all weekends, it was going to be a doozy of a snow storm.

Hubby and I were sitting on the bed as the ticker ran across the bottom of the TV screen ... "THE MYRTLE BEACH MARATHON AND HALF MARATHON HAVE BEEN CANCELED". I cried. I'm so upset. I was willing to run in the snow. I want that medal. I want to be able to tell people that I earned the right to proudly display my "13.1" magnet on my van. I've worked my tail off for months. Now, I'm struggling. I feel like the work I've done is for nothing. Sure, I'm in the best shape of my life. But I wanted to complete THIS half marathon THIS WEEKEND!!!

There's a group of us that will probably still run tomorrow. But it won't be the same. The adrenaline rush won't be there. There won't be 7000 runners all lined up at 6:00 tomorrow morning just waiting on the shotgun. I'm mad. I'm sad.

I HATE SNOW!!!!

No comments: