A week ago, I found a suspicious looking mole on Bug's head. He'd gone for a haircut Saturday and I guess the sun hit him just right Sunday afternoon for me to notice it. It was weird looking ... asymmetrical, dark in color and jagged edges. Having had melanoma before (and obviously with Granny's recent death from metastatic melanoma) I wasn't going to take any chances. I called the dermatologist first thing Monday morning and made Bug an appointment for Tuesday.
When the PA (physician's assistant) came in, he looked at Bug's head and quickly whipped out his handy, dandy pocket magnifying glass. He took a glance and asked me if I was sure I'd never seen this spot before. I assured him I hadn't. He mentioned needing to do a biopsy then proceeded to check other spots on Bug's body. He noted several other spots that were worth measuring but they didn't appear to be problematic.
Bug was pretty upset when he found out he was going to have to have a biopsy. I think he was more scared than anything because he didn't know what to expect. But the PA and his nurse were very good at explaining things and they were done before Bug knew what had happened. The PA told me that he should have the results by Friday.
I think it took forever for Friday to arrive. I called the doctor's office around 9:30 that morning and left a message for the nurse to call me with the biopsy results. I waited. And waited. And waited. I still hadn't heard from her by 2:15 that afternoon so I called back. I was put through to the nurse and she told me that Bug's biopsy had come back negative for melanoma (Praise the Lord) but was positive for Dysplastic Nevi (atypical cells that are often a precursor to melanoma). His biopsy still had positive margins (the outermost edges of the sample taken still had atypical cells) so he will have to undergo a conservative excision to remove the remaining atypical cells.
I'm so thankful that this was found early and was negative for melanoma. All glory to God!
No comments:
Post a Comment