Wednesday, February 3, 2010

After-the-Fact Information

Remember Tango? He's (or she - we're not sure yet) doing great, by the way. He (she?) really is a neat pet and for the most part, low maintenance. Of course, I can only say this after getting him (or her), realizing that lizards need a heat source, making the run to PetSmart, getting the sales pitch for the basking light and the red light for nighttime, etc.

Monday evening, Bug called me into his room and pointed out to me that Tango was a different color than normal. I really didn't see any difference but Bug was convinced. Yesterday, we learned that Tango was shedding his (her) skin. So, I googled some information and geckos and shedding and found this very interesting site.

I learned a lot from this site and wish I would've had this information before being sucked in at PetSmart to buy a basking light (that apparently is not needed). But I was also very pleased to read that Tango doesn't need crickets. He (or she) can survive on the meal worms. I also learned that common, household things (like toilet paper rolls) will suffice for shelter rather than buying expensive things at the pet store.

Lesson learned ... when you can't stop your mom from taking your reptile loving son to a reptile exhibit and buying him a lizard, at least educate yourself about said lizard before visiting a pet store who only wants to turn a profit.

No comments: