EJ is potty training. I'm super excited about it as he seems to really be getting a handle on figuring out when he has to "pee pee potty" and actually holding it until he gets to a potty. Of course, there are limits to that. For instance, if he tells me he has to "pee pee potty", I basically have about 10 seconds to get him there, help him get his pants down and get him in place to do the deed. There are many times we simply don't make it. He has a knack for choosing to tell me when I've got my hands in raw chicken and well, I have to wash my hands, right? Yep - more than 10 seconds. This is when I'm thankful for the Pull Ups.
Here's a new hurdle though. EJ has another ear infection and is on another round of antibiotics. Well, we all know what antibiotics do to tummies and EJ is no different. In fact, me thinks his little tummy is less tolerable to the likes of Augmentin. But surprisingly, he's having an easier time recognizing when he really has to go to the bathroom- and not pee pee potty. Case in point, we were at Arby's last night and as we were enjoying our over-cooked sandwiches and under-cooked fries wonderful dinner, EJ announced to anybody within a 5 mile radius that he had to "poop in the potty really bad." I quickly unbuckled him and ran to the bathroom. As quickly as I possibly could, I tore off enough toilet paper to generously cover the toilet seat and proceeded to help him get his pants and Pull Up down. I'm sure if anybody else would've been in the bathroom, they would have been either humored or mortified.
Me: EJ, don't touch anything. In fact, just put your hands in your pocket.
(EJ does as he is asked and puts his hands in his pocket)
Me: I just have to cover the seat because it's yucky!
EJ: Yucky? Potty no yucky, silly mommy.
Me: Yes, public potties are very yucky.
EJ (pointing to the toilet paper on the seat): Me use dis paper to wipe my bottom?
Me: NOOOO!!!! We'll get clean paper to wipe your bottom.
EJ: We get keen paper, mommy?
Me: Yes. Clean paper.
So, I get him over the potty, careful to hold him up so that he's not actually touching the generously covered toilet seat (the toilet paper is there "just in case") in the yucky Arby's restroom. He did his business and after I got his pants back up and we washed our hands, EJ looked at me and excitedly told me how much fun that was. Well, it wasn't exactly my idea of a good time, but if that's what floats your boat, okay. Let's just not make a habit of it.
2 comments:
So, check this potty training story out and tell me what you think...
http://meghannjones.blogspot.com/2009/01/day-2-of-ec.html
Ahhh, don't ya just love those lovely discussions in the bathroom?
Post a Comment