I'm getting much too old for the drama that inevitably finds me. When I picked the boys up from daycare yesterday, EJ had an icky nose and an even ickier cough. After spending the evening wiping his nose and reminding him to cover his mouth when he coughed, I realized with great clarity that it was going to be a sleepless night. I put EJ to bed at his normal time and listened to him cough and attempt to breathe through his extremely stuffy nose. When Hubby got home (he'd been out to dinner with some friends) I tried to go to bed, only to have Hubby turn into quite the chatter box and keep me awake. I tried on more than one occasion to explain to him that every ounce of maternal instinct I had was telling me it was going to be a very long and sleepless night. Finally, at 11:30, I drifted off to sleep.
The first cry came at 12:30. I tried to convince myself that I was only dreaming and that EJ wasn't really crying. When it became obvious that I wasn't dreaming, I tried to tell myself that he was just crying in his sleep and that he'd drift back off. That didn't work either. I staggered into his room and diagnosed the problem ... he couldn't breathe. I picked him up and sat in the rocker for a bit ... I found that he could breathe a little easier in an upright position. After I was certain he was asleep, I propped his pillow up and laid him down. I crawled back in the bed and drifted off. Thirty minutes later, EJ began crying again. We repeated this cycle until about 4:00 this morning. At that point, I gave up on trying to get him to go back to sleep and brought him into our room to lay in bed with me. At my normal wake up time (oh dark thirty), I got in the shower and left EJ laying in bed.
I woke Bug up at his normal time and went about the morning in a normal fashion. Bug got on the bus and headed off to school and I took EJ to daycare. I'd taken his temperature before we left and it was below normal. I informed the teacher that he wasn't feeling well and she assured me they'd call if he started feeling too bad. Well, the morning passed and surprisingly, I didn't receive a phone call. I'd resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be at work for too long. As I walked out to lunch, I grabbed my cell phone in the event the daycare called. Sure enough, as soon as I walked into the restaurant, my phone started ringing. The caller ID confirmed what I already knew. As I walked back to my office, I called Hubby in the hopes that he'd be able to leave work and pick EJ up. Luckily, he was able to. I called the doctor and made EJ an appointment because I wanted to rule out strep throat (there are several cases floating around the daycare).
About an hour later, I was working away and my cell phone rang. I noticed it was the daycare but I was confused because Hubby had already picked EJ up. It was the assistant director and she very quickly asked me if Bug had gone home sick. "Um ... no" was my worried reply, "Why?" She told me that the director was at the school to pick up the kids and Bug didn't get on the van. The other kids told her that he had gone home sick. She couldn't sit there and hold up the line behind her so she pulled forward to call the assistant director. I quickly called the school and explained the situation. It just so happened that Bug was walking in the office at that moment and was telling somebody that his ride just left him. They made sure to escort him out to the van when it came back around.
I met Hubby at the doctor's office and when the doctor came in, he checked EJ over. Turns out, the kid has yet another ear infection. He just had one a month ago and he has tubes. It's a miracle this kid can even hear after all of the ear infections he's had (that's probably a slight exaggeration, but he has had a lot of ear infections). After exploring all the options where an antibiotic is concerned, we settled on trying the chewable tablets. Dr. C told us we could crush it up and put it in pudding or yogurt or anything like that. As soon as we got home from filling the prescription, I crushed it up and mixed it with a bite of pudding ... worked like a charm!!!! He didn't even know it was there. Whew ... hopefully this will work from now on!
And for the record, the reason Bug missed the van was because he was helping a little girl in his class who'd broken her ankle and was having trouble walking and carrying everything. So, I couldn't be mad at him. He was being a sweet, caring boy.
No comments:
Post a Comment