Sunday, June 28, 2009

Open Water Swim

I did my first ever open water swim today. They had a swim up at the YMCA at one of the local lakes and I decided to do it so I could get a feel for what my next tri will be like. I didn't want to get there the morning of the race and not have a clue what swimming in a lake was like.

So, I got there and got registered and barely missed the first wave. They allowed 50 people in the first wave and I was #53. When I registered, I was asked the question, "Are you going once or twice?" My answer ... "I'm going to attempt twice." I was given a swim cap and I met up with some fellow tri friends. When I walked to the shoreline to eyeball what I was facing, I have to admit I was a little intimidated. Those buoys seemed to be miles apart ...

I watched the first wave start and I kept giving myself a pep talk ... "You can do this Cayce. Even if you only make it one time around, that's still 750 meters of OPEN WATER. And even if you start the second time and can't finish, there are rescue boats. You can do this!!" As soon as the first wave was clear, I got into the water and warmed up just a little. When it came time for the 2nd wave to start, my heart was racing and I had butterflies like you wouldn't believe. You would've thought I was in a race for my life! The guy yelled his instructions and off we went. I had to remember to pace myself (I have a tendency to start too fast and wear out early).

I learned very quickly that this is nothing like a pool swim where you're spaced out pretty well. And I couldn't see a thing! I kicked a couple of people and came very close to being kicked. From the time we started until we got to the 1st buoy, we were pretty bunched up together and I couldn't seem to get around anybody. It was pretty frustrating. I had to learn very quickly how to site the buoy and stay on course.

We finally spaced out and I was able to "get into my groove". When I came around the first turn and tried to site the next buoy, the sun was blinding! I don't have tinted goggles (yet) so I just followed the crowd and hoped they could see the next buoy. As I was coming down the home stretch, I was surprised at how good I felt and I decided that I could (and would) do another loop.

The 3rd wave had already started and I have to admit that my competitive side kicked in and I found myself wanting to catch up with and pass some of them and finish ahead of them. So, I kicked it up a notch ... I did pass a few and I got passed too.

But, I finished!!! I did a 1500 meter OPEN WATER swim today!!!! And I finished in 39 minutes. Of course, I have no idea if that's a good time ... I was just thrilled to finish. I felt wonderful afterwards!! So, now when my next tri gets here, 750 will feel like nothing. I'm really glad I did the 1500 today.

So, if you've made it this far in reading without being bored to tears, thanks for letting me tell you my little story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GIRL I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!
I havent even tempted that. But we have to have a wet suit here and there is no one close to my little town to rent one from. so it will have to waite a little while. But Heck if you can do it so can I.

Now to give you an idea. you know that is ALMOST a mile swim. you are only 250 shy of it. My friend that did the 70.3 in Hawaii she got a 35:48 1.2 miles. here are her splits
REBECCA MCKEE
BIB AGE STATE/COUNTRY PROFESSION
921 37 ANCHORAGE AK USA BUSINESS OWNER

SWIM BIKE RUN OVERALL RANK DIV.POS.
35:48 2:46:44 1:46:56 5:14:17 169 7

LEG DISTANCE PACE RANK DIV.POS.
TOTAL SWIM 1.2 mi. (35:48) 1:53/100m 346 16


BIKE SPLIT 1: 4 mi 4 mi (14:15) 16.84 mph
BIKE SPLIT 2: 56 mi 52 mi (3:25:24) 15.19 mph
TOTAL BIKE 56 mi (2:46:44) 20.15 mph 288 12


RUN SPLIT 1: 3 mi 3 mi (24:57) 8:19/mi
RUN SPLIT 2: 9.75 mi 6.75 mi (55:51) 8:16/mi
RUN SPLIT 3: 13.1 mi 3.35 mi (26:08) 7:48/mi
TOTAL RUN 13.1 mi. (1:46:56) 8:09/mile 169 7

TRANSITION TIME
T1: SWIM-TO-BIKE 2:52
T2: BIKE-TO-RUN 1:57

YOU TO can do that girl. I am gonna be there someday soon. : )
By the way I am looking into doin IM Core d'Aelen Idao in 2011... wanna go with me?
Jenn

Anonymous said...

So you read and approve... BUT no answer.....

are you gonna go in 2011?

Something to give your thoughts a little boost....
Go to www.ironmancda. com and it's the featured video on the right of the screen. It may just be the motivation you need to give it a try.
Just think. you and I have been wanting to do one together for a LONG time now... so why not?

You have a little while to think about it. sighn ups will be in 9 months. and I will be nagging...

I am going to. I have set myself for it....

I wanna hear.... YOU ARE AN IRON MAN!!!!!