Saturday, March 8, 2008

It's the Small Things

I love being a mother. Nothing in life can ever prepare you for the roller coaster of emotions that come with having children. Likewise, nobody can prepare you for the sleeplessness either. Luckily, EJ is long past the "getting up every 2 hours" phase but there are still those nights when he wakes up for reasons I can't figure out. Take last night for example. Little Bit went to bed at 7:45 and woke up crying at about 9:30. Hubby went into his room and got him calmed down. Undoubtedly, the only thing he wanted was his passy ... I'm sure it was wrapped up in his blankie. Then he woke up fussing 2 more times during the night. Now usually, EJ is up with the chickens on the weekends and I figured that this morning would be no different. My little internal alarm clock went off at 6:30 and the house was quiet. Surely I was dreaming, right?? I mean, I had to be. There was no way that EJ wasn't awake. I didn't want to take the risk of going into his room because if he was awake, he was laying quietly and I would ruin that if I walked in there. So, I forced myself to roll over and doze back off. Do you want to know what time I woke up? 8:00 AM!!!! Do you want to know what time EJ woke up? 8:30 AM!!!! I got up 30 minutes before he did. I fixed myself a bowl of Corn Flakes and cut up some strawberries to go with it. I read a few pages of my book without interruption.

(NOTE: Thank goodness for a UPS back up system. The power just went off and the computer didn't even flicker. It is quite windy here today)

Anyway, I'm sitting here right now typing this and my little one is taking nap. The monitor is on the desk here and I can hear him breathing ... it's almost a little snore. He's recharging for an action packed evening of mommy time. We're just hanging out today. Daddy is at the beach for a conference with work and Bubby (Bug) is visiting his dad this weekend.

Take time to enjoy the small things in life. Remember, you only get so many marbles.

No comments: