Saturday, October 18, 2008

Triathlon ... Take 2

You could say that I'm hooked on doing triathlons. I had another one today and just like the last one, the day started extremely early. I made it to the Aquatic center in time to pick up my race packet before too many people showed up.

I headed outside to set up my transition area and when I walked out, I realized for the first time how chilly it was. The high today was only 60 degrees (I'm not complaining though. I have a blogging friend who lives in Alaska and they've already had snow!!!) and at 6:30 this morning, it was a chilly 45 degrees.

After setting up my transition area, I decided that I was going to swim a few warm up laps. I got in the pool and it felt like I was climbing into a hot tub. The only thing missing was the jacuzzi jets ... the water was 85 degrees!! I swam several laps and got out of the pool ... just as some evil person decided to open the big bay door right beside the pool. I felt like I was standing in front of a freezer door.

At about 7:50, somebody who sounded a lot like Patsy Cline sang our National Anthem and people started lining up to swim. I was scheduled to swim at 9:10 so I stood by the pool and watched (with a tad of envy) all the people who are extremely strong swimmers. My mom was bringing EJ, my brother, his girlfriend and her son. I was about 25 minutes away from my swim start and she wasn't there so I found somebody who had a cell phone and called her. She told me that she was running across the parking lot and she's be there in a minute. But, she never showed. Ten minutes before I got in the pool, the phone lady found me and told me that my mom called and that she's gone to the wrong Aquatic Center. Turns out, my brother (who came to my last race) thought it was at the same place as last time so he steered her that direction.

I made small talk with the people around me until it was time to get in the pool. I waited on the guy to count me down but I never heard him. All of a sudden, he was yelling "Go, GO, GOOOOO." Duh ... So, I pushed off the wall and started my swim. I knew very quickly that I started way too fast but I couldn't make myself slow down. I was feeling the burn about 5 laps in.

I finished my swim and got myself out and ran outside. HOLY BRRRRRRRR!!!! I thought it was cold before but I have never felt that kind of cold. I was soaking wet and the wind was blowing and I had goose bumps the size of Mount Everest! In all my excitement, I ran past the rack that my bike was on ... oops! I had to look at my arm so that I could remember my number and find my bike.

Then, I was off (and freezing). Things were good until I hit the first hill. I downshifted and braced myself for a steep climb but nothing could prepare me for how long this hill was. I finally made it to the top and tried to catch my breath. I kept going but the hills kept coming. I encountered about half a dozen hills that kicked my butt. I have to be honest here and tell you that I seriously thought about throwing in the towel about halfway through the bike course. But I dug down and found the strength to keep going and finally finished.

The run wasn't too bad. I felt a lot stronger on this run than on the one 2 weeks ago ... and this one was longer. I really got into the run and I think I almost wish it could've been longer (it was a 5k).

As I said, I'm hooked. But this was the last triathlon of the season. I am signed up for the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. Last year I did the 5k but this year, I've signed up for the 8k. The triathlon season doesn't start until March so I'll just keep training until then.

I would encourage anybody reading this to find something to strive for. I cannot explain the feeling of accomplishment that I have. I am a better wife and mother because of what I'm doing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patsy Cline, huh? Congratulations to you! Next year is my year!

Anonymous said...

Where was Hubby and Bug?

Anonymous said...

Oh hunny, I am SO PROUD OF YOU!
DIG DEEP! isn;t that the truth,. I know all about that too. Mt Everst hun? *G* my first tri I told you this, But it was only 28 degrees outside. *G* I cannot wait for it again. I too am hooked. what an amazing feeling it is.... you take your body to the end. were you think it can do no more and than you surpass it. LOL. we are junkies. but at least it is on something so wonderful.
God Bless my friend and congratulations on a shinning finnish. looking forward to hearing about the turkey trott. ;)
Jenn

Anonymous said...

P.S. it is 33 degrees right now. *G*