Sunday, December 28, 2008

Breathtaking Moment

This morning at church, the Praise Team was up on stage singing a song - Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone) - and as we approached the chorus, I raised my hands in praise. The words of the chorus are:

My Chains are gone, I've been set free.
My God, my Savior has ransomed me.
And like a flood, His mercy rains.
Unending love, amazing grace!

As I looked out to the congregation, there were several hands in the air but one little hand caught my attention and held it for a minute. A family sat about 4 rows back from the front and they have two little girls. The youngest one is about 6 years old and as we sang the chorus of that song, her tiny little hands were up in the air praising God! I'll admit that it choked me up for a minute. As adults, we tend to over complicate Jesus. But kids?!? Man, they get it! They simply believe with no strings attached. As we enter 2009, my goal is to live out Mark 10:15 - "Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it." I read this to say that you must have the faith of a child. You must simply believe! And I was reminded of that this morning as I watched this precious hand raised up. Oh, the faith of a child!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I betcha I know who that little girl is. Amazing family and beautiful children.... It truly is the innocence of a child's heart that is closest to God.