Thursday, January 17, 2008

Look what we got...

Over the past several days, the meteorologists have been calling for this lovely winter storm that we all dread here in the Carolinas. Most of the time, they blow it completely out of proportion and everybody gets all worked up for nothing. But occasionally, they'll get it right. Either way it can make you a little anxious. My alarm went off this morning at 5 and I looked out the window and saw a blanket of white. It was so peaceful and quiet. I turned on the TV and saw that Mecklenburg County had closed school for the day (which is par for the course. If there's even a hint of snow, they shut down). Well, when they close, so does the daycare. I re-set my alarm for 5:55 so that I could get Bug up for school (the TV said nothing about Lancaster County). At 5:45, my cell phone rang and it was a recorded message from the superintendent letting parents know that the school would be operating on a 2 hour delay. I turned off my alarm and went into Bug's room to turn his alarm off as well. When I opened the door, his head popped off the pillow and in a very enthusiastic voice he said, "Hey Mom. Today is the day I'm flying to Florida." I said, "Yep, go back to sleep." I didn't want to tell him about the snow because he'd NEVER go back to bed. See, we moved to South Carolina in August and Bug was convinced that we would never see snow again. I knew that the mere mention of snow would get his heart racing and blood pumping. Again, I went back to bed and proceeded to doze off. At 7:45, Bug came bounding into our room and he could barely contain his excitement. He'd seen the snow and was just itching to get out and play. I promised him that he'd be able to play in it later and I got up. I decided that even though they had school, I wasn't going to send him. Because he was going to Florida, I was going to check him out early anyway. Before I left to take him to his grandparents, I did let him go out and play for a few minutes. He got a sled for Christmas and he was able to slide around a bit. Check out this video:

As we were leaving, I took a picture of my house. It's so beautiful in the snow.

We made it over to Bug's grandparents' and pretty soon, he'll be leaving on a jet plane (now you're going to sing that all day, aren't you). His 2 cousins are going as well. They are going to have a blast and no doubt be extremely tired when they return. As for me, I'm getting ready to go curl up on the couch and continue to read the book I've been reading. Little EJ is asleep and that's about the only time I can read in peace.

No comments: