Wow ... have you ever been glad to see the end of a weekend? It doesn't happen very often but the end of this particular weekend signals the beginning of a slower pace (at least I hope so). Everything got crazy Thursday evening when my mom-in-law called. She was supposed to watch EJ for me Friday night and Saturday so I could attend a rehearsal and wedding I was singing in (and I planned to stay at my mom's since she lived close to the church). Hubby was planning to leave Friday after work and drive to Virginia and to to an antique phone show. Well, like everybody else on the planet, mom-in-law caught the crud. She was running a fever and had been in bed all day. So, I was left to find a sitter at the very last minute. I called on a huge favor from a friend of mine and she graciously agreed to come over Friday evening and watch EJ.
Meanwhile, Bug's dad was picking him up from daycare Friday (he visits him every other weekend) and I planned to meet him Saturday morning so that I could take Bug over to my dad's house. From there, my dad was going to take Bugger to his basketball game.
Ms. Lori got to the house right on time and I headed out to no-man's-land. To tell you how far it was, I took back country roads and it still took me 45 minutes to get to my final destination. The rehearsal was quite possibly the most disorganized function I'd ever been a part of. Nobody knew where anybody was standing, the director wasn't prepared, etc. It was supposed to start at 6:30 and we finally got a running start at 7:10. The preacher was a lovely man but instead of hitting the high points of the service (for the sake of time and patience), he went through the entire thing ... word for word. I figured I would just do the first verse of each of my songs - there were 3 - but the bride wanted each song sang in its entirety. We finally concluded the rehearsal at 8:30 and set out for the restaurant where the dinner was being held. Things there weren't much better in terms of organization, although this time the fault was with the wait staff. I made it home at 11:15 and crawled in the bed. The grueling schedule that I'd been faced with that night was nothing compared to what Saturday was going to bring.
Saturday started later than most ... EJ let me sleep until 7:45 and I was extremely grateful. But when I got out of bed, I hit the ground running. We left the house at 9:00 so that I could stop at Walmart and get a few things that I'd completely forgotten I needed. Bug's dad met me there at 10 and I took both of my kids over to my dad's and exchanged them for my brother!! When my "little" brother came in the room, I was shocked at how good he looked. He cleans up rather nicely. I wish I would've taken a picture.
We got back to my house and I had an hour to get showered, made up, do my hair and get dressed. We headed out for the church (remember, country roads ... 45 minutes ... ugh) and arrived unscathed. I had flashbacks to my wedding day when I saw everybody running around like the proverbial chicken. I had forgotten how much "stuff" goes into such a production. But, the wedding went off without a hitch. During one of my songs, I looked over at the groom and he had big 'ol tears in his eyes. The look of
After the "I do's" were said and the kissing stopped, we gathered for the reception. I stuffed myself stupid with shrimp and cocktail sauce!!! I drove home after that and played back the craziness of the last 24 hours. My original plan was to leave my kids at my dad's and take my husband out, but then my dad called and told me that I'd forgotten to bring a change of clothes for the boys. So, when the hubby got home, I informed him of the change of plans ... we weren't going to be going out, I needed to go get the boys. So, off I went (again).
That's pretty much been the theme of the weekend ... GO, GO, GO!!! Today, I'm trying to slow down but it won't last long. Bugger will have AWANA's in a bit and I'll do the weekly grocery shopping before I pick him up. Then it will dinner, baths, bed, laundry.
C'mon Monday!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment