I learned a valuable lesson tonight ... I will never again under estimate my 2 year old. I was grilling some chicken tonight while Hubby cut the grass. Bug was outside trying to catch a Praying Mantis and EJ was sitting on the kitchen floor playing with the keyboard. He'd been playing with the keyboard for 10 minutes so I figured I'd run out, flip the chicken then run back in.
Out the door I went ... just long enough to open the grill, flip the chicken and head back to the door. When I turned the knob, the door wouldn't open. EJ was standing at the door and I realized he'd turned the deadbolt. So, I crouched down so that I could get eye level with him and tried to coax him into unlocking the door. I felt him messing with the currently unlocked knob so I turned it so that he couldn't lock it. I kept pointing to the deadbolt and telling him to turn it and he just kept saying "OK". I knew I had to keep calm or EJ was going to start getting anxious.
I calmly told Bug to go tell daddy what was going on ... I figured two heads are better than one, right? I continued trying to persuade EJ to unlock the deadbolt. My mind drifted to the corn on the cob that was boiling on the stove and all of a sudden, I started to panic. It was on the back burner and EJ can't reach it but I got really nervous anyway. Hubby wasn't coming fast enough so I decided that I was going to have to bust the door.
I threw as much force as I could into the door. Unbeknownst to me, Bug was on the other side of the door unlocking it. So, here goes my shoulder into the door that just moments ago had been locked. The door flew open and clocked EJ right between the eyes. He flew back and landed on the kitchen floor and the tears started flowing.
Hubby had his keys in his pocket so Bug unlocked the front door and the timing was just right ( ... er, I mean, wrong). I told Hubby about my heroic plan to bust in the door and he reminded me that we could've always gone in through the garage. He asked that the next time I decide to do something, that I think through all possible options before I make a $500 decision.
1 comment:
Ah, yes, the Mommy Adrenaline Rush! Well, at least EJ probably won't try locking the door again, he might remember the bump it gave him. :-) XMan did that once when he was about 3, and there wasn't another door or set of keys handy! He finally undid the lock himself, but I was freaking out by then! After that incident, the neighbor got a copy of my key.
Post a Comment