Bug had a reading assignment tonight and he had to read a story called "The Tree House". After he finished reading the story, I asked him what it was about and he began telling a story of two little girls who each had a tree house. Each girl thought her tree house was better than her friend's. One tree house was built in a week and the other was built in a day. The tree house that was built in a day was used with old wood and nails and didn't look too inviting from the outside.
Each girl was offended by the attitude of the other so they each put signs on their tree houses advising each other to stay out. After a week, the girls were missing each others friendship so they agreed to take a look at the inside of each others tree houses and the girls agreed that they liked the other better.
So, they changed their signs from "Keep Out" to "Welcome" and they built a bridge to join the two houses.
I used that story as an opportunity to segue into the old saying "You can't judge a book by its cover." Bug had never heard that before and he was very attentive as I explained to him what it means. But it got me thinking about how many times I judge somebody by how they look or what their clothes look like. I'm ashamed to admit that I do it more than I realize.
I challenge everybody (myself included) to reach out to somebody who may not look like you look or talk like you talk. You never know how that may affect them.
1 comment:
Well said!
Our kids teach us more than we teach them sometimes.
Go Bless
Jenn
Post a Comment