Monday, September 22, 2008

Need vs. Want

We've been talking to Bug a lot lately about the differences between needing something and wanting something. Needs are things that are necessary to sustain life (i.e. food, water, shelter [although shelter isn't needed it definitely makes sustaining life more comfortable], love) whereas wants are items that can perhaps enhance an already abundant life (i.e. cars, pets, toys).

Then last night we had the talk with Bug about Grandpa. If you'll remember, my father-in-law was recently diagnosed with throat cancer and began chemo and radiation last week. We knew that eventually we'd need to talk to Bug and prepare him. Last night seemed like the best time to do it. I have to admit, I should have more faith in my child than I do sometimes. Things are so much easier for kids to understand because they don't have "life" to mess them up. The conversation went a little like this (after we explained to him that we needed to talk to him about a serious issue):

Mom: Grandpa is sick.

Bug: Is he gonna die?

Mom: (not prepared for that question so early) I hope not but there's always the possibility.

Bug: Does he have cancer?

Mom: Yes, baby, he does.

Bug: It seems like everybody in our family gets cancer.

Mom: A lot of people fight through and live but a lot of people don't.

Bug: I'll pray for him every night. (Bug - exit stage right)

Later, when Bug went to bed, he got settled in and began his prayers. He prayed the usual "thank You for the beautiful day and keep us safe, etc.". But then he said, "and dear God, thank you for giving me parents who help me understand the difference between a need and want. God, my grandpa is a need so please take this cancer from him. Amen."

I was at a loss for words. Such a simple prayer that was so true. In my opinion, family is necessary to sustain life. Bug sees it for what it is but how often do we take family for granted?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one big teary smile! Kids are amazing, especially my nephews!

Anonymous said...

*sniff sniff*
Oh hun what a blessing your boy is.
Continued prayers from Alaska.