Thursday, August 14, 2008

Beggars can't be choosers ...

Before heading to the daycare yesterday, I stopped by Chick-fil-A to pick up dinner for myself and the boys. As I pulled in, I noticed a homeless guy standing in the median and I decided to buy him a chicken sandwich. I placed my order in the drive-thru and sat ... and sat ... and sat. I made it up to the window 20 minutes later - and I'm not exaggerating - and snapped at the poor guy working. I made a comment along the lines of being able to get faster service at a steakhouse and he explained to me that they were having a free promotion ... free chicken strips with any order. I told him in a rather sarcastic way that they needed to plan accordingly when they were running a promotion like that. I admit that it was not one of my better moments.

I gathered my food (they threw in 3 free chicken strips and a tea) and drove away. By this time, Mr. Homeless Guy had left his post in the median and was making his way towards the McDonald's in the next parking lot. I drove over there, rolled down my window and motioned for him to come over. I told him that I had an extra chicken sandwich that I wanted him to have. That sorry so-and-so guy looked at me and said, "Ma'am, I'm getting really tired of chicken sandwiches but I could really go for a double cheeseburger from the McDonald's right here." Um, excuse me!??!?!? Aren't you the one who was holding a sign that was asking for food?!? I told the guy that I wasn't going to McDonald's ... that I already had the chicken sandwich and an extra tea. He finally agreed to take it.

I've been doing this for a long time ... buying sandwiches for somebody I see holding a sign and I've never encountered a situation like that. I wanted to tell him, "If you're tired of chicken sandwiches, stop standing in front of the doggone Chick-fil-A."

No comments: