Saturday, August 30, 2008

Practice Run (and Bike and Swim)

Today is my first mock triathlon. It is now 6:20 in the morning (on Saturday at that) and I'm too excited to sleep anymore ... or maybe it's nerves. Whatever the case may be, I can't wait to put all this work into action and see what I've got. We will start in the water at 7:30 and this event is what I'm the worst at (mom, if you happen to read this post, please allow me to rephrase - We will start in the water at 7:30 and this event is the worst - everybody else, please refer to the previous sentence and forgive the preposition at the end of the sentence).

The only problem I'm having is one of vanity (gasp). It's very unlike me, really, but I'm feeling a little goofy. For the actual triathlon, I'll have this very athletic looking (translated, it'll look like I know what I'm doing) tri suit that I'll be able to swim, bike and run in. I won't have to take the time to pull a pair of shorts on over anything. I'll just be able to get out of the pool and go. Today though, I'm not so lucky because they tri suits haven't come in yet. So, I'm decked out in my regular swim suit that has an open back. Under said swim suit, I have on my sports bra. Looking from the front, you would never know but when I turn around, it looks rather stupid. I called my mentor last night and asked for suggestions and she assured me that there would be a lot of that this morning because the suits haven't come in.

I've got my bag packed with everything I'll need. I've got lots of water and a Gatorade. I've got an apple and a protein bar. My bike is in the van and I'm having some yogurt right now. I'm tempted to go ahead and leave because I just want to get there.

I'm officially hooked. I'm even signing up for another triathlon 2 weeks after my first. It's a shame to get in shape for just one, right?!?! My mentor wants to sit down with me in December and look at all the tri's for 2009 and start getting signed up. Here's the biggy ... I'm even entertaining the thought of doing a half marathon. That won't happen for a while. It's taken me a year to work up to 5 miles. Who knows how much longer it'll take me to work up to 13.1. But, it's a long term goal and it'll keep me motivated.

Oh, and I've officially made my weight loss goal ... 54 pounds!!! However, I've got a coupon for 4 free weeks and I'm going to use it. So now I've got 5 more weeks left and at an average of 2 pounds per week - which has been my average - I should be able to shave off another 10.

Have a great weekend!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the sick and twisted world of the ADDICTED TO TRI! I have to tell you I too am addicted like no one else. soon you will feel BAD... really BAD when you don't get a work out that last at least 3 hours long. ;) have to get in an hour of each right?

and A half iron man is what you are really looking to do.... insert..... PLEASE COME AND BE CRAZY WITH ME.... and you would LOVE to do it in Fairbanks Alaska. imagine the things you could see while out riding and running. it is called the Sourdough and as long as all goes well ... in July I will be there. Lord willing. so what do you say my crazy friend?
Come join me....
Jenn
P.S. feel like a mack truck hit you this morning after the big race?

MamaJ said...

Did I tell you that I can't believe you're doing this?? 15 years ago, if you'd told me you were going to do a Triathlon, I would have laughed out loud! You go girl!! I am living vicariously (healthy) through you!!