Gobble Gobble!!! This is my favorite day of the year. I've always loved getting together over lots of food and eating until I'm miserable then kicking back to watch a good football game! Seriously though, I do love Thanksgiving. For me, it's a time to reflect on all that I'm blessed with. I can't even begin to list the many blessings in my life. Just the fact that I'm able to take a breath and put my feet on the floor is a blessing. Hearing those annoying noisy toys that people buy for my kids that drive me crazy ... yep, I'm blessed to be able to hear it! It's the little things. Of course, I'm thankful for the big things too, but stop for a minute and think about the little things.
Yesterday morning, I woke up at 3:00 and I felt like I had a boulder on my chest. When I woke up with my alarm, I quickly decided that I wasn't going to work because I felt horrible. I woke the boys up and got them ready and headed to the daycare. I was patiently waiting on my doctor's office to open and as soon as they did, I called and made an appointment for 10:30.
I arrived at 10:25 and got checked in. The receptionist told me that I may have to wait and I told her that was fine because I had my book with me. I took my seat and started reading my book. There were only a couple of other people in the waiting room so I really didn't expect the wait to be all that long. After I'd been sitting there for 20 minutes, the nurse came out and called back a man who'd been taking a nap (sitting straight up in his chair). She apologized for the wait and they disappeared down the hall. On the other side of the waiting room, there was a mother and her 2 daughters. The older girl kept blowing her nose and sneezing. I thought "Great, if I'm not sick now, I'll definitely be sick by the time I leave here."
I kept reading and glancing at the clock. It was about 11:15 and the lady across the waiting room got a call on her cell phone. The irritation in her voice was obvious as she told the person on the other end of the line that her appointment was supposed to be at 10:15. As she kept talking, her daughter kept sneezing and blowing her nose. Finally, at 11:30, the nurse called her back.
I was all alone in the waiting room and began wondering when I would ever be called back. I kept reading and eventually, the nurse called me back and like she'd done with the others, apologized for the wait. I was tempted to ask her what in the world took so long but decided it wasn't worth it. She led me back to the exam room and began her assessment. She took my temperature (normal) and blood pressure (118/68) and asked me the normal questions; What brings you in today? Are you allergic to any medications?
When she finished, she assured me that the doctor would be in quickly. I picked up my book and read until the doctor came in about 5 minutes later. I've never met this doctor before because the 2 other times I've been to that doctor, I've seen the Nurse Practitioner. He comes in and introduces himself and immediately asked me if I was still on the Aldemet for my blood pressure. "Um, no", I replied. "I've been off of that since I gave birth to my son 2 1/2 years ago." "Oh, yes, I see that. And I see your blood pressure is back to normal", he said. Confused, I looked at him and said, "Yes, my blood pressure has been normal since I gave birth to that same child 2 1/2 years ago."
He looked over my chart a little more and asked me what brought me in. I wanted so badly to look at him and say, "READ THE STUPID CHART. I ALREADY TOLD THE NURSE ALL OF THIS." Instead, I again explained how I was feeling. His eyes returned to my chart and in all seriousness he said, "It's probably due to the smoking." I know my eyes must've bugged out of my head as I said, "What smoking??? I quit smoking." I was beginning to lose faith in this so-called doctor. Was I really about to trust this man to tell me what was wrong with me and prescribe medication??? He tried to redeem himself as he said, "Yes, I see that now. It looks like you quit smoking about 8 years ago, huh?" I was flabbergasted. I told him that I quit smoking almost 4 years ago and he actually looked back at my chart and said, "Well, I guess the math does work out that way, doesn't it?" Are you kidding me????
He proceeded with his exam and when he'd completed it, he told me it looked like I had a case of acute bronchitis. He explained that he could write me a prescription but that it would run its course. I'm not big on taking medicine for something that the body is perfectly capable of handling on its own, however I've got a busy couple of weeks coming up and need to be well. For starters, today is Thanksgiving and we are supposed to go over to my in-laws. My father-in-law's immune system is still depressed because of the chemotherapy treatments and I didn't want to take any chances of getting him sick. I told Dr. Clueless that I would feel better if I could get an antibiotic in my system for that reason. I also have our church's Singing Christmas Tree quickly approaching and as I told Dr. Clueless, my assigned part is alto and right now, I sound more like a bass and I don't know the bass part. Reluctantly, he wrote me the prescription.
I was supposed to get up this morning and run in the local "Turkey Trot" but I knew that I wasn't going to be able to participate. I don't want to risk getting pneumonia on top of bronchitis. A friend of mine, who was also signed up to run, picked up my race packet for me so I could at least get the t-shirt.
Last night, I had to take Bug to meet his aunt & uncle and they were going to head to the mountains for Thanksgiving. I left my house at 8:45 last night and got home at 11:30. I was wiped out and slept very well. Today has been relaxing so far. I slept until 9 and then got up and got EJ out of bed. Hubby got up at about 10 and we've been lazy ever since. We will head over to my in-laws later this afternoon for dinner tonight. I can't wait to dig into some turkey, dressing, green beans, mashed potatoes, rolls and DESSERT!!!!
I hope each of you have a very good Thanksgiving. Remember this little things and give thanks!!
No comments:
Post a Comment