About a month ago, Bug had his annual check up at his pediatrician. This included a hearing and vision screening and afterwards, the nurse came in and informed me that Bug's hearing was excellent but that he'd failed his vision test. The nurse gave me the name of a good pediatric eye doctor and as soon as we left the doctor's office, I drove right over to the eye doctor to make him an appointment. There was only one pediatric eye doctor and he was booked until the middle of December. Because of Bug's age, he would be required to see the pediatric eye doctor if we went to that office. I didn't want him to have to wait until mid-December to have an exam so I called the local Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat doctor. His original appointment was supposed to be on the Thursday that he was sick so I rescheduled it for today.
I picked Bug up from after school and when we got to the doctor, I waded through the required paperwork. Actually, they were gracious enough to mail me the paperwork a couple of weeks ago and I filled it out but I walked out this morning and forgot it. I called Hubby to see if he would take it to work and either fax it or email it to me but as luck would have it, he walked out and forgot it too.
The nurse called us back to the room and proceeded to put some pretty small letters on the wall and asked Bug to read them. I was sitting right behind him and I couldn't see the letter and I'm wearing my contacts! Of course, Bug told her he couldn't see them. I totally understood. So, she moved up to the next line and again, he said he couldn't see them. This continued until she got to the next to the last line and finally, Bug could clearly see the letters. I thought, "My goodness, my child is as blind as a bat. How did I not catch this before now?"
The nurse put the lens thingy down over his eyes and started with his right eye. "Tell me which one is better. One or two." Bug replied that number one was better and so she moved onto the next lens. Once she'd gone through several choices, she showed Bug a line of letters and he read them without a single problem. She moved on to the next eye and repeated the process. After she'd completed both eyes, she gave him a line of letters that were pretty small and he read them perfectly. Afterwards, she dilated his pupils and told us the doctor would be in to check him out.
About 10 minutes later, the doctor showed up and checked Bug's pupils and had him read a line of letters then told me that his vision was 20/20. I was confused and told the doctor that he'd failied his vision test at the pediatrician. But he explained to me that the lenses that the nurse was using had no power or anything. I think know I have a little hypochondriac on my hands. When we got home, Hubby and I had a talk with Bug about the importance of being honest and because of the fact that he wanted (and I'm convinced this is the case) glasses, it cost us $50. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that his eyes are healthy but if he would've been honest at the pediatrician, all of this could've been avoided.
But, Bug did get a really cool pair of sunglasses to shield his eyes from the bright sun.

4 comments:
Are you serious? He faked it??
(My captcha for this comment was "momblest." No kidding.)
Well, he says that his vision must've gotten better since his doctor's appointment. I thought Hubby was going to explode!!!
And yes, I'm very "blest" ... how 'bout you?
Jacob did that too! It's a hypochondriac thing, I'm tellin' ya!
Ha, must've gotten better since the appointment. Wait till I tell Jacob!
Oh what fun kids are, huh? I'll make sure he gets it from the choir kids Wednesday. :)
Post a Comment