Thursday, November 6, 2008

Life With a Sick Kid...

What a week! Bug woke up Monday morning complaining of a tummy ache but he wasn't running a fever, so I gave him some Pepto Bismol and sent him on to school. I fully expected a phone call early from the school nurse telling me that Bug was in the office but it didn't come. I went to lunch and when I returned to my desk, I had a voice mail from the nurse. I called her back and she told me that Bug had been to the office twice and this time he had a fever.

I left work and got to the school and it was pretty obvious that he didn't feel good. So, we came home and got comfy on the couch until time to go pick EJ up.

Tuesday morning we got up and took EJ to daycare and went to vote. While we were standing in line, Bug started looking worse and as we were leaving, he told me he didn't feel good again. When we got home, I took his temperature and it had spiked to 102.7. He curled up in his bed and stayed there until after lunch. As soon as his fever broke, he was bouncing off the walls. But later that evening, the fever returned so I knew we were destined for another day at home.

Yesterday morning, we pretty much kept the same routine as the day before (except we didn't have to vote, obviously). I'd decided that if Bug didn't run a fever and he got all of his school work done, we had to pick EJ up. Bug thoroughly cleaned his room and sorted through all of his toys. He even cleaned up the toy room without me having to ask him. He did his school work without complaining and read the required story. So, at about 2:30, we headed to the indoor pool to swim. We'd been in the pool for about 15 minutes and Bug didn't look like he was having too much fun. I asked him what was wrong and he told me he was freezing - the water wasn't even cold.

I told him to get out of the pool and wrap up in his towel. I swam a few more laps and we packed up to head home. I took his temperature and it was 102!!! At this point, I was resigned to the fact that I would be at home another day.

This morning, I called the doctor and they got him in at 9:00. Poor little Bug has an ear infection, upper respiratory infection and possible strep throat. I left the doctor's office and headed to the pharmacy. The sweet little girl told me it would be about 30 minutes so we headed next door to the grocery store. We gathered everything we would need for dinner tonight and drove back over to the pharmacy. The same sweet little girl came to the window with the prescription in hand and asked if I had any cash. I could feel my blood begin to simmer as she told me that their computers were down so she couldn't accept a card. I wanted to yell, "DID YOU NOT KNOW THAT BEFORE YOU TOOK THE PRESCRIPTION????" But I contained myself (barely). I looked at her and said, "I suppose it's too late to go to another pharmacy, huh?" She told me that she could fax it to another pharmacy but they'd have to take time to fill it too.

I told her in the nicest tone I had at that point that I would be back. I all but peeled my tires as I drove off and I called Hubby and vented about the inconvenience, blah, blah, blah. It's been a while since I had one of those moments!!! When I got back to the pharmacy, a different girl came to the window. I guess the other one didn't want to deal with me anymore. That's okay ... there are plenty of days when I don't want to deal with me!

Now, we're at home and waiting until it's time to go to Bug's appointment with the eye doctor. He failed his vision test at the pediatrician a couple of weeks ago. Then we'll go pick EJ up at daycare and come home to fix dinner. With me being home all week, Hubby has been spoiled. I've had dinner ready (or darn near close) every night. The laundry has been caught up and the house is clean! I could get used to this!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We Too have been in the same spot. but ours is puking. and they drop like Domioes. LOL. one at a time. btu I am the only one that cleans puke SO.... I swam in it long enough that I GOT IT TOO! darn it.

I need to buy stock in Pedialite after this week. ;)
Jenn

MamaJ said...

Ha! You squealed the tires on your minivan!!

The Sinclairs said...

Hope your little one gets to feeling better real soon! And... even more so... I hope the rest of you guys don't get it either. Hope your weekend is better than your week.